machu picchu

File0825 (1820 of 2289)File0800 (1800 of 2289) File0797 (1797 of 2289) File0798 (1798 of 2289) File0832 (1826 of 2289) File0902 (1882 of 2289) File0841 (1830 of 2289) File0906 (1886 of 2289) File0909 (1889 of 2289) File0874 (1856 of 2289) File0876 (1858 of 2289) File0916 (1896 of 2289) File0925 (1903 of 2289) File0927 (1904 of 2289) File0938 (1912 of 2289) File0960 (1932 of 2289) File0961 (1933 of 2289) File0964 (1935 of 2289) File1001 (1962 of 2289) File0995 (1959 of 2289) File0974 (1944 of 2289) File0975 (1945 of 2289) File0978 (1946 of 2289) File1078 (2021 of 2289)

It's hard to believe I took these photos of Machu Picchu eight months ago. There were so many logistics to think about in the present -- the train, the hotel, the buses, the hike -- that I don't know if I fully comprehended the magnitude of it until after the fact.

There had been a rock slide on the zigzag road that takes you to the main gates a couple days before our arrival, so we had to take three different buses and climb stairs between each level to get to the entrance. It took almost an hour to go about two miles.  Harper and I were very prepared -- my bag was filled with advil, bug spray, sunscreen, Neosporin, band-aids, altitude medicine, hand sanitizer, 20 Lara bars -- and no, we did not use any of it. Only 400 tourists per day are allowed up Huayna Pichu (the peak pictured above), and we had tickets to do the early morning hike. I'm not much of a hiker, especially at 8,000 feet, so it was definitely a challenge; I had to stop every few minutes to catch my breath. The stairs were steep and slippery and I kept catching glimpses of the view below, realizing how high we were getting. I kept thinking this is the hardest thing I've ever done. (On the way down I thought that was not so bad, let's do it again!). To get to the peak at the tippy top, all the hikers took turns crawling through a little rock tunnel. It was a bit claustrophobic, but what we met on the other side quickly made it worth it. We were in the clouds completely, and could only see land for brief moments when the clouds would move. There was such a feeling of comradery -- a bunch of strangers all crammed together, helping each other balance from rock to rock and exchanging phones and cameras to take pictures of each other. I kept thinking of Nan Nan, how she's traveled all over the world and how this was one place I'd made it to before her. I tried to be as present as I could so I could remember every detail and describe it to her.

Once we got down and started exploring the main ruins, we were so exhausted that we wandered aimlessly; no tour guide or map, just taking it all in. The weather spanned from every extreme imaginable (I took my sweater on and off every ten minutes) and the people-watching was amazing. After I spent weeks obsessing about what shoes to wear, I couldn't help but notice everyone else's -- some people were dressed in serious hiking gear while others were in flip flops. But one of the sweetest things I noticed was how many older couples were there, checking off a bucket list dream together. Nothing about getting there or being there was easy or comfortable, but they'd all felt strongly enough about seeing this 15-century Inca site to make the effort. And I bet not a single one of them regretted it.